28 August 2011

Straw-berried Treasure Cupcakes

Another play on words. I'll admit that I cheated and just used yellow boxed cake mix with milk chocolate canned frosting. That's pretty much treason for dinner club in my eyes but this was just a bonus for everyone's treasure box party favors.  It was still cute and delicious!

While I'm on the thought....let's debate.  Boxed cake mix.  Hate it or love it?  As much as I pride myself on making things from scratch, I can go either way with boxed cake mix (and brownie for that matter, too!).  Honestly, I think it tastes pretty darn good and great in a pinch.  It gets a bad rap because it's not homemade but when it tastes delicious and/or you doctor it up a bit to be more fancy, then who cares?!

But, if you want the homemade version and have the time (which I didn't), checkout the link in the source.

Straw-berried Treasure Cupcakes
Yields: 18 cupcakes

  • 1 box cake mix of your favorite flavor
  • 1 can of frosting of your favorite flavor
  • 18 strawberries, hulled
Directions
  1. Prepare the cupcakes per the instructions on your box.  Set aside to cool.
  2. Once the cupcakes are cooled, using a small paring knife and the cone method or 1"-1.5" cookie cutter cut out the center of each cupcake.  In this case we're not replacing the tops so eat the cupcake scraps as you're carving or save them for later to make cake balls (truffles).  Yum.
  3. Insert a strawberry into each cupcake.  Just shove them in there.  They'll fit :).
  4. Frost your cupcakes.  If desired, add a cute pirate flag.  Stuff your face and enjoy!
Source: Inspired by I Heart Cuppy Cakes

0 comments:

Post a Comment